17.3.06

Good Life, The > Grandma's Gone

Grandma’s gone
The priest had such lovely words for us
What a holy lady lost
She’ll remain in all our thoughts
Her great grandkids run around and play
Remind us how life’s renewed
And I want to play with them too
But I don’t know how to
No, I’m getting older
Getting older too


Grandpa died on Father’s Day ten years ago
We couldn’t remember his funeral
Grandma must have remembered it well
My sisters only remembered one thing
They learned our aunt and her friend were lesbians
I had already known
I dog sat for them
I guess we just choose to forget
So how is this day any different?

Papa hated Grandpa
They were too proud to agree
Mama’s always crying
She’s worried I’m the same
But Mama, I’m determined

I am steadfast, I am certain
I will not be like your lover
I am stronger, more enlightened
Your time will come, and you’ll move on

I’ll try not to forget
When Papa gets his cancer
I’ll stay with him 'til the end
And I will be much better for it
And you will be much better for it
And we will feel much better then

No comments: